Enrollment Forms


The OSSE (Office of Enrollment and Residency) requires that all new and returning students complete DC Residency Verification Process.

The OSSE rules state as follows:

“To be enrolled in any DC public school, a parent/primary caregiver must show original documents as proof of DC residency for each student assigned to or wishing to attend a traditional public or public charter school in the District. A completed DC Residency Verification Form must be completed to determine residency.”

One of the following items is acceptable to establish DC residency:

  • A pay stub;
  • Supplemental Security Income annual benefits notification;
  • A copy of Form D40 certified by the DC Office of Tax and Revenue;
  • Military Housing Order;
  • An embassy letter;
  • Proof that a child is a ward of the District of Columbia, in the form of a Court Order; and
  • Proof of financial assistance from the DC Government, in the form of either a:
    • Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) verification of income notice or recertification approval letter;
    • Medicaid approval letter or recertification letter;
    • Housing assistance letter from a housing shelter, including contact name and phone number or a letter from the Housing Authority; or
    • Proof of receipt of financial assistance from another DC Government program.

If none of the above items are available to verify residency, two of the following items are required:

  • Unexpired DC motor vehicle registration;
  • Unexpired lease or rental agreement;
  • Unexpired DC motor vehicle operator's permit or another official non-driver identification;
  • One utility bill (only gas, electric and water bills acceptable)

Please see other forms of verification below:

If you are experiencing homelessness, a ward of the District, and/or a participant in a District public benefits program, such as Medicaid, Supplementation Nutrition Assistance Program, or Temporary Assistance for Needy Families – your school may already have your information. Check with your school official or the school’s homeless liaison.

Verify through the Office of Tax and Revenue (OTR). Re-enrolling families/students are often able to verify residency using OTR residency verification process. The enrolling person must have paid taxes in DC during the previous fiscal year and have the student’s Social Security number. The student must be re-enrolling in the same local education agency and enrolling in grades K-12. Login to the system at ossedctax.com. If successful, your verification will then be available for your school to confirm.

If you have any questions, please contact one of the following 

Enrollment Mailbox 



Janelle Browne